Sunday, April 19, 2009

Weekend Work




During the weekends I have more free time than I do during the week. Often, I don’t know what to do with this free time and need things to occupy my time. I have begun going to work on Saturdays (remember this is optional). Right now we have “Subotnik” on Saturdays…this is where all the children from my school clean the school yard and surrounding areas; all school in my town participate in “Subotnik”. This is a good project. I feel like I’m doing something and the children seem to have fun! I cleaned for a while; this was a fun way to get to the kids learning English! We counted in English multiple times! Then I sang random bits of songs that they asked if I knew – you don’t have to be good here…you just have to know the words. Then I was in charge of taking pictures and I passed out stickers! Oh good times!

I also go to the orphanage on Sundays in the afternoon. I try to have something prepared to do. Recently, we played Twister and played with balloons, always a good time! This is a fun activity for me and I think the kids enjoy this as well. Sometimes I run out of ideas to do with them, but then just follow their lead.

Last week, being Easter Sunday, I was sad to be away from home; away from my Church Family; away from all the “normal” things I would do on Easter Sunday. I woke up to several text messages wishing me a “HAPPY RESURRECTION SUNDAY.” Even though I couldn’t be at Sparta Baptist Church for Sunday morning and for “Easter Dinner,” I had an AMAZING dinner here! It was complete with Chicken, gravy, cheesy potatoes, deviled eggs, corn, brownies, ice cream and my personal favorite: FRUITED GELATIN (thanks to a package that contained jello)! Even though it wasn’t pot luck, it was as close as I am going to get!!! 1 word: AMAZING!!

1152
1139
1123

No comments: