Monday, June 1, 2009

May --




I was busy in May and rather than have separate entries I’m going to try to sum up life in May 2009. :)
• At the beginning of May I visited a fellow Volunteer who lives alone in a pretty spectacular house, not far from Almaty! Other Volunteers were there as well and we went hiking in the Mountains! Which are practically in the backyard of this Volunteer! LUCKY! We went all went to Mega Center where we indulged ourselves in the deliciousness commonly referred to as KFC! It was cheaper than I thought it would be and absolutely amazing! Afterwards, we purchased items to make dinner. We were even able to find marshmellows for S’MORES! A little taste of summer! While I was SO close I couldn’t say “no” to visiting my Host Family from Training! I hung out with them for a day before returning back to site. It was good to be back “home”
• My host family had their family over. Here’s a fun riddle: what’s worse than one 4 month old baby? TWO! One of the family members has twins who are 4 months old. They actually weren’t THAT bad and they were cute, when they didn’t cry or spit up
• I’ve become friends with the neighbor children by way of shooting hoops! I purchased a basketball, which has quite possibly been THE greatest purchase that I have made since being at site!
• I got my hair cut and my fear was realized! It is a mullet!! Thankfully, it’s not TOO bad and it WILL grow back! The hair salon woman talked me into it. Of course, she didn’t use the word “mullet” and described something I thought I might like…HA! Well, at least, now I can say that I have had a mullet :)
• I took a train to Karaganda for an OCAP meeting – other Volunteers were there from Karaganda oblast! It was fun to see familiar faces and discuss the OCAP program.
Aside from the WEW (which deserves it’s own blog…coming soon), this sums up my May. Now I’m preparing for Summer Camp, which makes me excited and nervous at the same time!!

1 comment:

Michael Hotard said...

i want to see the business part too.