Thursday, November 13, 2008

So I'm at site!

The end of PST marked a new beginning! I actually hate when people say stuff like that, but I guess it’s true. I know that I will miss my OCAP friends a crapload (you be the judge of how much that is). We all swore in as “official” Peace Corps Volunteers last Friday! Yea for no longer being a Trainee, but now a REAL Volunteer! We had to take a bus from our site to the site of Swear In. On the way there our bus broke down a little and we all had to get off the bus and stand on the side of the road. Thankfully, we had left early enough that a minor set back really was not a big deal and after all, when going to a ceremony where we were the guests of honor, the ceremony really had to wait for us J Our setback was really only like 25 minutes and then we were on the road again in the same bus. At the site of Swear In there were lots of speakers then the actual Swearing In of Volunteers, followed by a wonderful reception with lots of food! Bkycha!

Some people had to leave on Friday because their sites a really far away – I got to stay with my hosts an extra day! But that meant I had to say goodbye twice. Friday I had to say goodbye to some of the best friends I have made over the last 3 months! It was sad and many of us cried, even though, we know we will see each other in just a few short months – yea March!

My host mom prepared my favorite dish Friday night and we exchanged gifts! My host mom asked me why I wasn’t laughing and then I began to cry – I wasn’t ready to leave them. As a girl who has never had to live with a host family, I could not have asked for a better 1st host family! My whole world was changing – and as many of you know – I HATE CHANGE! Saturday my family dropped me off at the school where the Peace Corps van would pick me up! We went there at 1:15pm and the van pulled up at 1:30pm! The minute the PC van pulled up it was time to go and I could feel tears welling up in my eyes as I glanced at my host mom and sister, who were both crying. We all hugged and my host mom told me that “This was not goodbye, but see you later,” and “Their door is always open.” I will definitely be back to visit them!

I had to sit for 2 hours at the bus station alone – I was kind of scared, but felt like an accomplished woman in doing so! It gave me a greater sense of independence in this large country. I boarded the bus in the evening and was here by daybreak. I took a taxi to the house of my new host family, where I went back to sleep as sleeping on a bus proves to be rather difficult most of the time. Later in the day I unpacked the pieces of luggage that I had with me, I still have 2 more at another family’s house, that I hope to gather really soon. I had a successful first day of work and am excited to be here!

“Live and let live, do not judge, take life as it comes and deal with it, everything will be okay”
– James Frey

1 comment:

JessicaJane said...

Christina! Even I will miss your family! But you will have a new one... I miss you!