Monday, February 9, 2009

Ain’t No Party Like a Kazak Party


I was invited to the 50th birthday party of my site mate's host dad – a Jubilee! I was happy to be invited and excited to go – there was going to be dancing…not line dancing…but what we did sufficed J This birthday party was very much like a wedding reception. There were games, singing, dancing, and even an MC! Who could forget the toasts as well! I know that at birthday parties in Kazakhstan we give toasts to the birthday person – a wish. I had asked a friend from work to assist me with the preparation of a Kazak toast and worked hard to memorize it (which is good because I will use it again).

The evening started with eating followed by MORE eating! First we had different kinds of salads and caviar (not a big fan of caviar), there was also some delicious vegetables set out! After this Beshbarmark is brought out – the first “main course.” During the eating people are called up to the front based on how they know the birthday person to give there toast…this takes a LONG time considering the amount of people available at this party. In between toasts and eating there is dancing going on. There was also some performances put on by dancers and there were some singers! This went on for about three hours when there was a break (intermission, if you will). People went outside to smoke or to use the bathroom.

When we returned there was of course more dancing! Back at the table the second main dish was coming – Monte – my fav! There was STILL toasting going on…I wanted it to be my turn; I had memorized my toast, but thought with every passing moment I was forgetting it! More dancing. Then, of course, it wouldn’t be complete without cake, chai and cookies. Finally, it was the Americans’ turn to give toasts – all two of us. People are generally impressed at foreigners who try to learn the local language. Then more dancing – the party went until 2am! A birthday party for 8 hours…that’s what I call a good time!

And now because I’m SUPER proud of my Kazak skills…a toast: (I’m not entirely sure what everything means, but it’s all good things…)

Two gan cunenigizbin
Curp baket ta lamen
Zor dane tow look so lame in
Balalarrrrngizbin kazagin Corrine giz
Aksha curp bowl sin
Kraziess balmasin
Sol you shin al upco yamaz

No comments: