Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Busy Weekend




I had an excellent Friday! I went to the shoe repair and became besties with the man there, who didn’t believe that my name is Christina because that’s a Russian name – right sir, I frequently make up a different name for myself J but he fixed my favorite pair of heels, that were broken my first day in Kazakhstan, for 400T! So yea! I got photos developed from Pizza Night at the Orphanage, and then went to the orphanage to deliver the photos – I am going back on Sundays to have “Arts – n – Crafts” time!! The kids were so happy to see pictures of that day! Then, I went shopping. I found a Jeans store, called “Jeans” (original, I know) and I even found some jeans! My favorite pair and one of the two pair that I brought to Kazakhstan ripped last week. I felt really silly saying “I need jeans but I don’t know what size I wear,” sizes are different here than in America. The woman just looked at me and then gave me some to try on – they fit perfectly – she’s good! I bought a new favorite pair – my options were skin tight tapered jeans or parachute flair – I tried on LOTS of different kinds of jeans before finding the pair that flaired the least, but weren’t tapered. This store also sells belts, my belt broke also, but I think I may wait until next month to replace it. I also found a jewelry store full of pretty things I can’t afford, but it’s fun to look and learned that in Kazakhstan when a man proposes to a woman he gives her engagement earrings –

On Sunday I went to the orphanage with a recipe for clay! We made clay and constructed figures from the clay and it is currently be left out to dry so that we can paint them later this week! Then we had a fun photo shoot because everyone there LOVES having their picture taken and then being able to see it immediately, they especially love to be the only one in the picture – I have introduced “open mouth” pictures to this orphanage and they have come to love them as well!! We hung out outside for a bit as they showed me around, with the weather become nicer we were able to go out without freezing! Then I had to leave – I’m not going to be in town for the next few Sundays, but am going on Thursday to paint!!

1 comment:

Kyle said...

I see that some kids have also added the double thumbs up in addition to the open mouth. Well done!