Sunday, August 16, 2009

A New Flat (aka: Apartment)








Earlier this summer I *almost* had an apartment. I looked at it on a Saturday, the owner said she would clean it on Sunday and that I could move on Monday. However, on Monday evening she called to inform me that she and her husband had decided to sell the apartment rather than rent it. I was thoroughly disappointed and SO badly wanted my own apartment. I continued my search for a few more weeks before *FINALLY* finding my very own place! There were a few places that I saw that I thought I would take just because I desperately wanted a place, but none of them *REALLY* made my <3 happy, so, I waited…and…WALA!

I moved the beginning of August and have LOVED EVERY MINUTE. It’s a cozy place; similar to a studio apartment in America. I live on the 2nd floor; there are only 2 floors in this building. The living room doubles as the bedroom in the evening and is absolutely perfect. The couch pulls out into a bed. Outside the living room / bedroom is a super sweet balcony, where I mostly dry my laundry, after hand washing of course, and if you look closely you can see the lake! I think it will be bitter cold in the winter, but I guess I’ll worry about that when it comes. The kitchen is lacking a few things, but not anything that can’t be purchased at the bazaar. I really need to purchase shelving units and most importantly an oven. Since I have been and will continue to be away at camp during August, I will buy these items come September. The toilet and the tub are in separate rooms, per usual in Kaz, if it were any other way, I would be totally confused:) And (Aunt Laura) please notice the garbage located in the bathroom for the TP…it generally isn’t flushed here.

My place is located 2 blocks from my workplace and very near to the local grocery store and just outside there are sellers of fresh fruits and vegetables. My landlady is SUPER awesome and her apartment is located directly underneath mine so she’s always available if I need anything (or if my house key gets stuck in the outside of the door at 10pm). Because there are only 2 floors – 3 apartments on each floor, I was able to meet many of my neighbors; they seem like very nice and helpful people. In fact, just last night I knocked on my neighbors door to ask for the telephone numbers of some of the taxi services. Not only did she write them all down on a piece of paper for me, she also called some of the services. Love this place.

Right now, I’m working on hanging pictures up, of course there isn’t a lot of table space and I don’t have picture frames, but what I do have is tape! I have begun taping pictures to the living room wall and I’m rather impressed with it. I want to have more developed here or get some from home **hint**

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that Uncle Mike could help prepare you for life there...now how does pickle rations factor...

Michael Hotard said...

did it come with the fan or did you buy it? only 1400 tenge! why did i wait two months to buy one?