Thursday, November 5, 2009

Not Really a Fan --






Last week we celebrated Halloween. I really don’t care for this “holiday.” Aside from the fact that I hate hate hate being scared, I also thinks it goes against the very thing that we teach kids when they’re young…you know the part where you’re “not supposed to take candy from strangers,” remember that? On Halloween you actually CAN dress up as something you’re not and then ask strangers to give you candy…hmm…

Nevertheless, we had a small celebration at my school. There are about 184953294 holidays in Kazakhstan, but Halloween is not one of them. We actually celebrated the day before Halloween. During our celebration we learned how to say “Happy Halloween” and “Trick-or-Treat”  this is actually REALLY difficult for an English learner to say but they were all such good sports and attempting and then reattempting; I’m certain it had everything to do with the bag of candy I was holding.

We had a skeleton scavenger hunt, mummifying people with toilet paper, bobbing for apples, pin the nose on the Jack-O-Lantern and ended with decorating masks to wear and use our new English phrases. It was fun and the kids really seemed to have a good time  And even carried “Trick-or-Treat” over until Monday…I was impressed!

1 comment:

Kyle said...

Sounds like it was a good time for the kids! I donno...I think that Halloween may be catching on in Kazakhstan: On Halloween night I saw bunches of people (not americans on the streets all dressed up