Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A Psychology Seminar and Karaoke for lunch :)






My best (local) friend is the psychologist who works at my school. Our desks are located next to each other and we chit chat and laugh every day. She’s my absolute favorite. She also talks to me in “stupid Russian” using hand gestures so that I understand what she’s talking about…I’m thankful for this :)

The other day she was frantically preparing for a Psychology Seminar that she would be delivering to other school psychologists; she found out about the seminar she would prepare 4 days before she was expected to present…I guess this doesn't happen only to PCVs :)

Naturally, I was in charge of photographing the event. This works out well. She wants pictures, I have a camera, I want to be helpful, she needs my help. The seminar was virtually flawless…even if it wasn’t, I really wouldn’t know. Afterward, Rada wrote me a note asking if I wanted to go with her to lunch. I thought this meant that we would go to lunch at a different time than the other teachers and was confused, but this happens sometimes when she is offended with another person, I thought this was one of those times; I agreed. What she meant was do you want to go to a café with some other teachers to celebrate my seminar. Oh, but of course. I was happy to go. I love hanging out and having a good time. We left school at 2pm. I wondered if we would be returning. The teachers said that we could not come back to the school after being at the café. Fine. I brought all my stuff with and we went to a café not far from my school. I had only been to this café one other time and it was in the summer so we ate outside. But, inside there is a dance floor and karaoke! How the heck have I lived here for a year and not known about karaoke!!! I will be frequenting this place!

I thought it was odd to be drinking and singing karaoke while it was still light outside, but that’s how we do it. Some of my coworkers sang karaoke and then were insistent that I sing as well. Not wanting to do it alone I choose “Yesterday” by the Beatles. Everyone here knows this song and then made a friend sing alone:) She’s also the English teacher so that was good. A short while later we decide to sing “YMCA.” This song is MUCH longer than you think it is! I promise! My English teacher friend didn’t actually know the words, so I pretty much sang it alone, but it wasn’t that bad…I even scored a 91! I don’t really know how they score singers, but I liked it :)

There was shashlik, salad, cake, juice and lots of toasting! It was a good time and I plan to return to this Karaoke place!!

No comments: