Saturday, January 2, 2010

2009 Recap --

Well, 2009 was certainly a good year. Let’s do a brief recap of moments from 2009...

January:
•Christmas in Karaganda!
•Gosti to my first host family
•Kresheny (I didn’t jump in the lake, but attended the service and watched the
others jump)
•Success at finding Diet Coke <-- this was a BIG accomplishment :)
•Jubilee party for Alex’s host dad

February:
•Site visit from RM = counterpart change!
•Visit to Jessik in Kgan
•“No Smoking” seminar with my new CP
•Alex moves into an apartment
•Reconnect with my paternal grandma via internet

March:
•Peace Corps Birthday party at the orphanage
•Arts-N-Crafts club at the orphanage
•Naryz --> travel to Shymkent
•IST
•Guiness Pub night with Volunteers and CPs

April:
•American English Competition in Balkhash 2
•BridgeTV
•DDR
•Reconnecting with my “dad” via the internet

May:
•OCAP conference in Karaganda
•Keep Shakin’ What Yo Momma Gave Ya – Women’s Empowerment Weekend
•Hiking in Talgar
•Ecological Seminar planned
•Playing basketball with the neighbor kids
•Lots of trips to the mini amusement park
•MULLET!

June:
•100 days of CAMP begins!
•One of my students gets a call back from Bota foundation
•Joke day at camp --> toothpaste everywhere :)

July:
•English Club and Kristina’s Store
•Hiking / Camping in the mountains in Talgar
•Circus
•Bowling
•17th school camp

August:
•I found an apartment!!
•Lots of swimming in Lake Balkhash
•Trying dog meat
•Travel to Astana

September:
•First Bell Ceremony
•I try Kymyz
•Town day celebrations
•Healthy Life seminar
•Teaching English with my CP = work!

October:
•BIRTHDAY CELEBRATIONS
•Alex goes to America
•Halloween party
•Fall concert
•“Cooking Party” --> Monte

November:
•New Site Mate, Sam, arrives
•Shaping class
•Met other foreigners who live here!
•Circus time
•Playing LOTS of Skip-bo

December:
•MST
•School Day
•Out with women from Shaping class
•Christmas Eve Service in Almaty
•Road Trip to Taldy
•Karaoke
•Lady Gaga

Overall, it’s been a pretty good year in Kaz. I can’t complain. I am starting a list of things I want to complete while still in Kaz, rather than all the restaurants I plan to frequent after Peace Corps...although that is a fun list! :-)

No comments: