Monday, January 19, 2009

A Full Day




Last Saturday, I decided to go into work, at my site Saturdays are kind of optional, fewer teachers work and the day is MUCH shorter – some workers leave before lunch even! I’m working efficiently on studying more Russian! I want to be fluent! I stayed for lunch – we were having Borsht, which has become one of my favorites! After lunch two of the ladies in my office went home, leaving just me and another woman. This woman is very interested in zodiac signs and that sort of thing in general. She asked my date of birth and told me all about me based on the day/month/year I was born! Then she asked for my zodiac sign and told me the kind of year I was going to have, some of it sounded fun so I, of course, wrote it down! It sounds like life will be mostly boring until June – at least she didn’t tell me anything would happen before this. And June will be the month that I find a boyfriend and get lots of $$$, but she told me that I should be very careful with this money, that it isn’t stolen (I assume this boyfriend is going to be a sugar daddy since I can’t earn $$ in the PCJ). August is going to be BY FAR the greatest month of the year, but it’s going to be a VERY serious month for me (the woman who was telling me this seemed a bit concerned about the seriousness of August most likely because I can’t be serious). In October, I will find a new apartment (I think she meant in May – but I humored her) and in November I will do LOTS of work and that will equal LOTS of $$$. She then read her year and it sounded kind of crummy – well, the beginning anyway – she decided not to believe it, but told me I should believe mine J It is kind of fun to read.

After work, I went to the lake here! It’s HUGE and frozen through, I wandered out onto the frozen lake – lots of people walk on it, and some people even drive on it! In the distance I could see a fence like thing and red cones (or what looked like red cones). Curious I walked out to see what it was. There was a large cross cut through the ice – down to the water and the fencing surrounded it. I learned that Monday is a holiday and people would be jumping into the water – to be blessed – and warming up in cars – my site mate wants to jump – he’s crazy. I wandered back to the shore, where I found treasure! Or a treasure chest looking thing full of rocks – but rocks could be someone’s treasure eh? I made a snow angel – that really didn’t look like a snow angel – I blame the snow – it’s more like ice!

There is one hotel in my town – I’m not entirely sure who stays there? Apartments are MUCH cheaper to rent for the night and it’s not like I’m in a BIG city, but whatevs. There is an orphanage near the hotel. After I left the lake I walked to the orphanage – where I would like to do some work – I went in and asked if I could help them out – they told me to come back on Monday morning – I hope that means yes (I’ll keep ya’ll posted J). Then I popped in to the hotel – just to check it out, ya know? It’s pretty nice! There is a café even and I think a water fall thing that probably has an off switch – it was switched off. There are mirrors everywhere! There are four floors in the building and lots of rooms! I even looked at a room! There were two beds, a bathroom (with a shower – whoa! – maybe I’ll stay there!), a phone, a refrigerator and, of course, chai! Freezing cold, I went to a café to warm up with my own chai.

I was going to a friend’s house in the evening. She is a friend to the woman who works at the store I frequent at – she invited me to “gost” at her house! And I agreed. She met me near the café where I was having chai – I didn’t know how to get to her “flat.” She speaks English very well! I went to her house – her family is very nice! Her father has a store at the bazaar where he sells food. Her mother is VERY pregnant and will soon have a baby! I’m excited! She has a little sister who is 6 and SUPER cute and an older sister who is very hospitable! We had Monte – my fav –followed by some delicious tort (cake)! Afterwards, we hung out in her room – she let me use her internet for free! I used it for a short time – I want to hang out with her for friendship, not to use her internet. She has agreed to assist me with my Russian and I will assist her with her English! Yea! She loaned me a few of her movies that can be watched in Russian or in English.

I left kind of late and upon arriving home I learned that I could chose to watch one of the movies in Russian with English subtitles! I watched “The Perfect Man,” I have already seen this movie, but this time I watched it in Russian! (with English subtitles). Then I was off to bed!

No comments: