Friday, January 23, 2009

Krashenya


So my site mate and I went to the Orthodox Church here in Balkhash on Monday for the holiday of Kra-shen-ya (aka: epiphany) where people would commemorate the Baptism of Jesus by jumping into this water – something I definitely wanted to see! The service started at 8am and there were lots of rituals and chanting. I, of course, did not understand any of it but found it intriguing. Then there was what I assume to be the “blessing of water.” There was a priest and lots of people shoving to get there water to the front – the priest said a few words then walked around the room sprinkling water on everyone. Then we all went outside and waited (for a long time) for the other priests. They came carrying flag type things and the bunch of us walked to the lake – down the middle of street and there was more singing and chanting. When we got to the water the main priest talked for a while – I don’t know what was said – even if I could understand there were SO many people that I really couldn’t hear him – and I was nervous that the ice beneath me was going to crack and we would all go under. He left in a car with the others and then people began to jump in the water! It was totally crazy! There were even some babushkas (grandmas)! I was impressed. Others came to the opening to fill water bottles or jugs and then we all left! It was a fun thing to watch! Then we warmed up in a nearby cafĂ©!

No comments: