Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Karaganda Celebration




I just got back from Karaganda – where 11 Volunteers met up for a Christmas celebration and just to hang out! It was very exciting and super fun! Thanks Jess, for hosting us! (yes, MaryAnn it was your Jessie who hosted us – thanks for reading my blog! And thanks for Jessie – she’s my best Peace Corps friend – love her! J)

I got into Karaganda on Friday morning – the last to arrive – it was really early like 7am and no one was at the train station for me – I text messaged a few people who were already at the apartment; I took a taxi. Everyone was awake and we did Friday in reverse J In the evening we went out to get food and got back to watch Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer and laughed a lot!

Saturday was by far the most exciting day there! We found an amazingly awesome food place that where we ate lunch! Then we went to the mall for a bit, then to ice skating! We walked around for a while and found lots of ice sculptures and a big slide that we all tried! We were freezing and went to a café for chai. It was here that we discussed going to karaoke. We found a karaoke place where we stayed until the cut the karaoke – they had lots of English songs – and even some Spanish songs – we all sang something and Hotard sang a Spanish song – who would have thought! Oh good times! I sang Kokomo by Beach Boys and Black or White by Michael Jackson, with Jessie. I miss us!

Sunday is when everyone had to leave, some people got to stay later than others – and no one really WANTED to leave (well, maybe one person wanted to get back to site J), we will see each other again in March, but that seems SO far away. My train left at 7:30 – those who were still there were able to see me off.

I purchased socks for some of my friends who were going to be there – as well as, knockoff power rangers and a Barbie – they were totally cool! Check out our socks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're on to me! Thanks for keeping your blog updated, Christina (and including pictures!). I really do enjoy reading it - hope you don't think I'm a voyeur. I feel like I know you and see why Jessie thinks so highly of you.

Michael Hotard said...

uh... some kid sang a spanish song? that's actually as many letters as michael and more letters than hotard. plus, more than one person was excited about going back.