Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas Trees
















Christmas is not a holiday celebrated in Kazakhstan – I know sad day! But before you get too sad, know that I am having a “holiday exchange” at my school and there will be a Christmas celebration – complete with caroling, hot chocolate, gifts and even a Christmas concert, put on by the children of my school (as requested per my director – she asked if I would be interested in doing it on a day that was not one of my greatest here – but that made me SO much happier!)

In class we drew a tree on poster board and taped it to the wall, as well as, a fireplace so that we could hang out stockings there “with care!” We made stockings with colored paper and each took turns hanging them up using tape. Then “Jingle Bells” was the song that was taught – soon “We wish you a Merry Christmas” will also be taught – but that was enough for one day!

Last Sunday I went to the bazaar to purchase my own Christmas tree (or New Year’s Tree, I guess – called a “yolk-a”). New Year’s is a BIG deal in Kazakhstan and there are trees for this Holiday – decorated very much like a Christmas tree back home would be! The one I purchased is VERY small, but I have come to LOVE it! I also purchased some lights to wrap around it and when it was “decorated” I plugged it in and went to get my host family to have them come and see it! They laughed at the idea of a New Year’s Tree being put up this early! I tried to explain that it was a Christmas tree – but due to my lack of Russian, I was unable to say it. They said that they would put a big New Year’s Tree up on December 21!

But still NO snow! I know – I shouldn’t complain – but really – if it’s going to be THIS cold, it might as well be snowing! And Christmas wouldn’t be the same if there wasn’t snow – but there may not be snow for me this year, which is actually unusual for Kazakhstan and just 5 hours North of me there is snow!

1 comment:

JessicaJane said...

You will have a white Christmas in Karaganda!!! It's been snowing ALL day and it is BEAUTIFUL