Monday, December 8, 2008

Thanksgiving!







My first 12 hour overnight bus alone went well, I mean I made a few “friends” who talked to me and tried to be patient with my Russian ability or lack there of. Early Friday morning my train was in a BIG city and was greeted by a familiar face! It was a wonderful meeting after 3 LONG weeks of being apart and in unfamiliar settings (mind you we spent every day together for 12 weeks – so 3 weeks is a lot!). We attempted to purchase my ticket back, but the woman wanted us to go speak to the police – since our Russian isn’t all that great, we opted to “come back later” and hopefully with someone who would be able to help.

We took a bus back to her place where I met her host mom, ate breakfast, changed and showered…she has a REAL shower – you know the kind where you stand during a shower and keep the water running? IT WAS WONDERFUL!

In the afternoon, my friend’s host mom agreed to meet us to purchase a return ticket. This time it worked – no questions asked. Then we headed over to her site mate’s apartment where we celebrated Thanksgiving with other Peace Corps Volunteers. We had lots of delicious food! Including: chicken, potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, hummus, cauliflower and even pie! One of the Volunteers here made pumpkin pie – with real pumpkin! Be impressed! But no Jell-O L I know usually I say, “It’s not a holiday, unless there’s Jell-O, but it was the best we could do in another country! After dinner we watched “A Christmas Story” and others of us chit-chatted about everything!

The following day, I finally purchased a classy purse and can stop carrying my huge back pack everywhere!


No comments: